The Automation Challenge
An Oil & Gas producer in South Texas operates a multi-well pad with 22 wells, 15 separators, and 8 production storage tanks. Their existing data collection and monitoring process involved manually collecting each process variable and recording the data on paper.
The operator sought to mitigate the following issues:
- Data prone to inaccuracy – Due to inevitable human error
- Inconsistent data collection – Reliance on personnel collecting data at inconsistent intervals
- Incurring continuous labor cost – Due to ongoing physical presence required on the well pad and associated travel
- Risk to safety on-site – Field personnel working in hazardous environments
The operator required a precise and cost-effective system to streamline the monitoring of all critical assets. With an RTU and SCADA System already selected, the right wireless sensor network solution was required to enable connectivity to their field assets.
In order to bring all well pad assets into a central location, they required wireless measurement instrumentation that would meet their operational needs today and in the future. Their requirements included:
- Gain around-the-clock monitoring on the health of their process
- Improve data collection system with high accuracy to make well-informed decisions and optimize production while lowering labor burden
- Cost efficiency in hardware, deployment, operation, and maintenance costs
- High scalability for accommodating future wells coming online
- High reliability and safety to withstand harsh and hazardous environments
- Modbus capability to seamlessly integrate into their selected RTU and SCADA system
The Wireless Automation Solution
After evaluating several competitive wireless options, the producer selected OleumTech for its ability to meet all project requirements: comprehensive product portfolio, high scalability and reliability, and ability to deploy the entire system in one day.
Utilizing the OleumTech OTC Wireless Sensor and I/O Platform, the wireless solution provided full visibility over the multi-well pad with 24/7 remote access to critical data of each asset.
The OTC solution comprised of the following wireless products:
At the 22 Wellheads:
22 Wireless Analog Pressure Transmitters (AD1) for monitoring casing and tubing pressure
At the 15 Separators:
30 Wireless Flow Totalizer Transmitters (FT1)
(15 for Oil and 15 for Water)
At the 8 Storage Tanks
8 Wireless Resistive Level Transmitters (LL3) with Flex Sensors
At the Control Panel
1 DH3 Wireless Gateway
Range Extender Enclosure
1 DH2 Wireless Gateway
The Benefits of Wireless Automation
With remote access to accurate, near real-time data at each well, tank, and separator, OleumTech’s wireless solution completely changed the ball game for the end user, which ultimately helps them make better decisions to improve operational efficiencies to increase profitability.
Reduced Labor and Operational Costs
The OleumTech wireless solution eliminated the need for any digging, permits, running conduit and wire, and reduced the frequency of field technician visits. As a result, associated labor and operational costs were substantially reduced.
The entire set of 60 OleumTech sensors/transmitters and 2 gateways were installed and deployed in one day. Something that is impossible to achieve with a hardwired system.
Increased Visibility and Data Quality
With 24/7 access to critical data from OleumTech wireless transmitters and gateways, the operator was able to optimize well pad performance by using the data to identify trends, mitigate risks/errors, remotely confirm the state of assets, moderate production schedules, and much more.
By leveraging powerful wireless instrumentation, ongoing manual data collection tasks by field personnel were eliminated.